The assignment was, “Make a short list of what’s wrong with group activities.” My short list:
Reasons Why Group Cooperative Activities Falter
- A group’s threshold of distraction is at least as low as its most “distractable” member.
- Success is absolutely dependent on practicing the specific activity. If you haven’t practiced enough, groups and individuals will be confused about the process.
- Not all students are as motivated as all other students. This can create frustration and resentment between them in both directions.
- If roles are not clearly defined, students will be confused about their roles.
- Students must know how to turn off discussions instantly, or else time gets wasted during transitions.